Gum disease can range from a simple case of inflammation and bleeding gums to serious pain, bone deterioration, and tooth loss. If you have been told that you have gum disease, it is important to seek gum disease treatment in Duncan as soon as possible. At Cowichan Valley Dental Group, we are happy to provide several options for gum disease treatment.
Risk Factors for Gum Disease
The main risk factors for developing gum disease include:
● Smoking and tobacco use- not only is smoking and tobacco use bad for your overall health; it significantly increases your risk of developing gum disease.
● Medical conditions- if you have certain medical conditions such as diabetes or if you have undergone chemotherapy, you may have an increased risk of gum disease.
● Family history- some people are more prone to developing gum disease due to their genetics. If one or more of your family members has dealt with gum disease, you may be at an increased risk of developing this condition.
● Medications- certain medications can lead to dry mouth, which increases the number of bacteria in your mouth and puts you at a higher risk of developing gum disease.
What is Gingivitis?
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums that results from a bacterial infection. If you do not seek gum disease treatment near you right away, gingivitis can progress into a more serious condition called periodontitis.
There are many stages of gum disease, ranging from mild to very severe, and in some cases, it can lead to tooth loss and bone deterioration. Having severe gum disease puts your oral and overall health at stake, so seeking treatment for gingivitis before it can progress into periodontitis is essential.
How to Prevent Gingivitis
The first line of treatment for gum disease is to practice good oral hygiene, such as brushing your teeth twice a day for at least two minutes and flossing each evening. It would be best to make it a priority to visit a dentist near you for a professional dental cleaning and checkup every six months.
What Are the Signs of Gingivitis and Periodontitis?
Often, people don’t realize they have gum disease until it is too late because it doesn’t always show symptoms until it has progressed. However, it helps to keep a close eye out for the following signs:
● Tender, red, and swollen gums
● Bleeding gums when your brush or floss
● Loose teeth
● Pain while chewing
● Heightened tooth sensitivity, especially when ingesting cold or hot foods and beverages
● Pus coming from your teeth and gums
If you notice any of the above signs, you must visit a dentist in Duncan immediately for treatment or oral surgery near you.
What to Expect When You Visit a Dentist
When you visit our dentist near you for gum disease treatment, they will evaluate your condition to determine the best course of treatment. They may simply clean your teeth or refer you to a specialist for in-depth treatment. They may also prescribe antibiotics and mouthwash to keep the bacteria in your mouth at bay. Whatever the case, a dentist is the best person to help cure your gum disease.
If you would like to learn more about your options for gum disease treatment, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated team of dental professionals at Cowichan Valley Dental Group. We are happy to assist you with all your oral health needs to ensure that you maintain excellent oral health for a lifetime.